The fat we are all worried about is actually not that scary. In addition, fat can help you achieve a slim figure. paradox? Not at all! The carbohydrate-free keto diet is strong evidence.
Keto or carbohydrate-free keto diets are by no means new trends. It was developed nearly a century ago to treat children with epilepsy. The basis of the diet is fat, which is supplemented with an appropriate amount of protein and a small amount of carbohydrates.
The essence of diet
Carbohydrates are our main source of energy. This is why several kilos can be lost by giving up sweets and starchy foods. The keto diet not only restricts carbohydrate intake, but also eliminates them completely. In this case, you will have the opportunity to lose a few kilograms or even more.
How does it work?
After no longer accepting carbohydrates, the body will rebuild its metabolism, making fat the main source of energy. Under these conditions, ketones (ketone bodies) are produced from fat, which is a source of energy for the brain and nervous system. Hence the name of the diet-ketones.
We all like candies, but it's hard to refuse them. It is difficult for the body to understand that you are giving up carbohydrates voluntarily, so it starts to consume emergency reserves in the form of fat. We need this because then we start to lose weight actively.
Without carbohydrates in the diet for about 5 to 7 days, the body adapts to this condition and begins to develop ketosis. Fat becomes the main source of energy. In the early stages, even a very small amount of carbohydrates will free your body from ketosis. Therefore, it is important not to deceive yourself and not to eat sweets, no matter how much you want.
It is believed that in a keto diet, you can consume 20 to 50 grams of carbohydrates per day. If the number exceeds 100 grams, ketosis is unlikely to occur, that is, the body does not need to be completely converted into fat to provide energy. This means you will slow down your weight.
But on the other hand, our gastrointestinal tract needs fiber (fiber carbohydrates) to function properly. Usually, when vegetables (fiber) are completely eliminated from the diet, problems such as constipation will occur. Therefore, in order not to hurt yourself, you still need to eat vegetables. Just choose green vegetables such as cucumber or salad.
Fat and protein form the basis of the diet. There are no carbohydrates, except for 20 to 50 grams of green vegetables per day.
If you are new to the keto diet, you must know that at the beginning, the human body is only learning to use fat for energy, so using more protein and less fat (40% to 60%) ismeaningful. But starting from the second week, we burn protein and increase fat so that the ratio reaches 1/3 protein + 2/3 fat. This is done so that the body that has not been converted to fat will not start using muscle protein as an energy source.
This is a misunderstanding that calorie intake is not important in a keto diet. Like everything else, burning fat requires a negative energy balance, and the calories you consume from food must be less than the calories your body consumes. However, in many cases, it is much easier to adhere to a keto diet than to track calorie intake. For example, it is sufficient to exclude calorie foods, and to exclude carbohydrate-containing foods and mainly based on meat.
- Don’t ignore fat.If you want to limit carbohydrate intake, you must provide an alternative fuel, namely fat. Basically, you can eat all fats, such as fried chicken, fatty fish, steak, whole or scrambled eggs, cheese, etc. But it is best to try to eat fats that are rich in fats, which are found in oils (olive oil, sunflower, flaxseed, nuts, sesame, corn), seeds, avocados, olives;
- Choose the right alcohol.One of the many benefits of the keto diet is that you can drink alcohol (in moderation, naturally). Choose beverages with the least amount of sugar, such as rum, whiskey, brandy;
- Drink plenty of water.Rules that must be followed without a doubt. Dehydration can have extremely unfavorable consequences, so always take a bottle of water with you.
- Be patient.First, the weight will disappear quickly, but this is mainly due to water rather than fat. The latter burns slowly, so please be patient and don't give up halfway.
- Breakfast-Fried 2 eggs with vegetable oil, 30 g cheese, 4 strips of bacon or beef. Coffee with cream.
- Lunch-A large green salad (lettuce, cucumber, celery) seasoned with a tablespoon. l. High-fat mayonnaise, 180 grams of fried chicken breast, 30 grams of cheese. Water or other unsweetened beverages.
- Dinner-180g steak, grilled or fried, stewed mushrooms with butter, broccoli. Water or other unsweetened beverages. Coffee with cream.